Sunday, July 12, 2009

Baking Bread Frenzy

So....I'm home for summer break....what to do?? Hmmm, let's make homemade whole wheat bread by hand, meaning no mixers of any kind. I have a really good recipe for a mixer, but I thought, hey, I've got time, let's do it by hand today. So the first day I did a recipe found on one of my food storage websites and tried it to see if I liked it. It makes two loaves. Pretty darn good!!! So a few days later....I go all out and make 4 loaves, BY HAND!!!! It took about 3 1/2 hours total with all the risings. My wrists were tired from kneading it. But oh so good!!


Gotta rise for the last time, one more hour


looks ready to bake now


mmmm, after I brush them with some crisco


If you have that kind of time, you've got to try this recipe. It comes from a wonderful blog that shows you how to use your food storage and many wonderful recipes. Check out the blog: http://safelygatheredin.blogspot.com

Whole Wheat Bread--made by hand
recipe by Jeri Shelton

1 Tbsp yeast
2 cups warm water
2 tsp salt
1 Tbsp honey (or 2 Tbsp sugar)
4 cups whole wheat flour

1/2 cup hot water
3 Tbsp oil
1 Tbsp honey (or 2 Tbsp sugar)
2 cups whole wheat flour

Dissolve yeast in 2 cups warm water. Add salt, honey and four cups of flour to yeast mixture. Mix together until smooth (will be a very thick batter). Cover with a warm moist towel. Let rise until light and bubbly--about one hour.

To this mixture add the hot water, oil and remaining honey and flour. Mix thoroughly--gradually add more flour (1 to 2 more cups) until dough becomes manageable to knead on counter. Dough should be soft and tacky (not sticky and not stiff or dry). When it reaches this point, knead for 10 minutes.

Put dough back into bowl and cover. Let rise another hour until double in size. Punch down and form into loaves. Put into greased loaf pans and let rise until doubled. Back at 350 degrees F for 25-30 minutes. Remove from pans and brush tops with shortening for soft crust. Eat. Groan with pleasure.

2 comments:

Christine said...

I'm going to try this recipe. Even though I've made plenty of bread in my life, I've never done it without the assistance of a great mixer. This will be good to learn!

Nikki said...

I am going to have try this one. Look how wonderful they look. Ok, I do not live far. Feel free to bring some by