Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Pinto Beans

It's Spring Break and what am I to do??? Hmmmm, relax and try pressure canning my first food. I've canned jams/jellies, peaches and pears, but never pressure canned anything. I bought this awesome heavy duty canner and now I need to use it. I went to an Enrichment Activity on how to can chicken. It was way cool! That's when I bought our canner. I decided to try something simple for my first time. So I tried pinto beans. It took a long time. I think it's because I used a portable burner instead of my glass top stove, which we aren't suppose to use because it's sooo heavy. My friend Valerie used it on her glass top and said it was fine, so I'll try it on mine when I do the chicken.



Filling the jars

now with water



Sealing it up


Finished product
It was easy. Here's the recipe. I hope it's good, haven't tried it yet. I'll probably make refried beans out of it.
Pinto Beans (per quart size jar)
1 cup dry pinto beans
1/2 clove fresh garlic (I used 1/8 tsp garlic powder)
1/8 of a small onion, chunk (I used 1 tsp dry onion)
3/4 tsp salt
Fill clean quart jars with with dry ingredients and then with water, leaving 1 inch head space at top.
Boil flat lids in water for three minutes.
Meanwhile, wipe down rims of jars with damp cloth.
Place flat lids on jars. Screw on bands.
Put in pressure canner with about 3 inches of water inside.
Seal and lock down lid, heat on high until it spits for about 5 minutes. Put weight on, 15 pounds of pressure. When the temp reaches 15 pounds, start timing for 50 minutes. Watch it, don't leave. You'll have to turn it down a little to maintain 15 lbs. When 50 min are done, turn off but wait until the pressure is 0 lbs, and then wait a few minutes more. Be careful opening the lid, you don't want to get steamed!!! It actually took me several hours to open mine. Jake had to help me when he got home. Pull out the jars. Place on a towel and let rest for like 24 hours. Don't bump or tip upside down. I heard that it's really bad to bump or disturb them. In the end, make sure the seals are all sealed and presto you are done. Store in a dark, cool place. Enjoy!!!

2 comments:

said...

Wow, that's AWESOME!!! I'm going to have to do that!

Jamie W. said...

Very impressed. I just got a pressure cooker so, I'll have to give this a try.