Friday, March 20, 2009

Pressure Canning Chicken

Now that I've canned pinto beans, I'm ready for chicken. It was actually easier than the beans. Maybe because I felt like I knew what I was doing this time.


I cut the chicken (thawed and no bones) into strips and put it in pint jars (it took about 2 breasts, more or less, to fill the jars 1/2 in. from the top) The jars need to be clean but not sterilized.



then I put 1/4 tsp salt into each jar, don't add any liquid, it creates it's own juices


boiled the lids for 2 minutes, cleaned the rims of the jars, and then screwed the lids on, not too tight


Can you believe that, I had to double layer with only one jar left. Seal the lid, wait for the spitting for 3 min. Put the weight on for 10 lbs of pressure (this is for Arizona desert, I don't know for other places or elevations). When it reaches 10 lbs, time it for 75 minutes. If you're doing quart jars, you need to time it for 90 minutes. Turn it off, wait till pressure reaches 0 lbs, then take lid off and remove jars. Let sit. You'll hear the lids pop when they seal.


They were still boiling in the jars


Looks like some science project, yum yum
Store in your pantry or somewhere cool and dark.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Excellent article. I've been canning chicken and beef for a couple of years now. One comment: the liquid is not boiling when you remove the jars from the cooker. What you see is air escaping from the food.