Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Grease truck #2

My husband is a brilliant man. He saves us lots of money!!! So...most of you may know that my Jake runs his diesel truck on waste vegetable oil. He gets it for free from restuarants and just filters it before he runs it in his truck. He doesn't add anything to it. Well, one day he was changing a filter when this guy drove up and asked Jake how he likes his diesel. Jake said that he loved it! The guy told him that he was selling one of his that was the same year as the one Jake was driving. He said that he couldn't get it started, it's been sitting for about a year in his yard, and it was $500. So, Jake talked to me about it and we both went over to look at it. I seriously thought it looked like a junker. I'm spoiled I guess. Anyway, Jake was looking at it and then found out it was a stick shift. You should have seen his eyes light up. He got all excited. He's been wanting a stick for a long while. GREAT. I guess he's gonna want to buy it now. Darn!! Jake and I talked about it that night. He said that as long as he can get it to turn over then he'll be able to work with it to get it running. So the next day we drive over there and Jake tries to start it. It turns over so he tells the guy he'll take it. Then he tells him that he wants to try something first before we leave. He had an idea that all he had to do was prime the injectors (I've been hanging around Jake too long when he works on the truck, I actually know what that means). The guy was even impressed that I knew what he was doing, because he had no clue. Anyway, he primed the injectors and then tried to start the truck. VROOMMMMMMM!!!! And lots of dust blowing out of the engine. That's my honey!!!!! He made sure it was still okay to buy it, he didn't want to put the guy out. So....$500 later, Jake drove the truck home himself with me following him. We were just buying it to turn around and sell it as a profit. Jake said that as soon as he was able to start it, he could sell it as is for $2000. Great!! Well....me and my big ideas. I told him that wouldn't it be great if he converted that one and I drove it to work...wouldn't that save us even more money??? So.....this will now be my truck named "sticky" hence stick shift, however, it will work both ways once there is "sticky" grease running through it. We spent Saturday cleaning it up inside and getting the radio hooked back up, the guy tried taking it out but failed. My Jake knows how to do sound systems too. I sure picked a winner of a husband!!!! I'm actually starting to like the old thing and a little excited to drive it. It's got major peeling paint and the camper shell has some of the windows broken out. Oh well, it's a 1993, what do you expect. How did he talk me into this??? So we're keeping all of our vehicles, 4 of them now. Yikes!! At least they're all paid off. We now have 3 diesel vehicles and one gaser. Fun, Fun!!!




5 comments:

The Earls said...

Good deal! I hope it will work out and not cost a lot to fix it up. Too bad the oil idea probably wouldn't work out here. It's just too cold. I'd love to save more money!

Jamie W. said...

That is awesome. Gotta love saving money on gas. Love the new addition.

Nikki said...

I like the idea. I have to save where you can. I will now laugh every time I see you truck at work from hearing the story.

The Moodys said...

Sweet!! So when you coming back up!! I sure do miss you guys.

Natalie said...

Okay, I'm totally fascinated by this! Now I want a truck that runs on waste vegetable oil too! How cool!!