Sunday, May 31, 2009

London: Buckingham Palace, Ben Franklin's House, Trafalgar Square, British Museum

Here we are in London. Let me tell you how crazy the bus/tube system is. We're always asking if this is the right bus to so and so. I feel like such a tourist. Anyway, here's some pics of the things we saw today.

Wellington Arch (we walk through here to get to Buckingham Palace)



We got here just in time to see the changing of the guard at Buckingham Palace. Can you believe that I was able to weasel my way up to the fence. Jake and my mom couldn't believe it! I was able to get some great pictures and video. I was on the side but that works for me.

Buckingham Palace


The backside of the palace marching band


They came so close to the fence, it was great. The person in the black is a female, cool, huh?


Look how close he is. I love it!!!


The queen's guards


This was at St. James' Palace just down from Buckingham. There were two guards here. This one looks so young.


We're walking away from the palace toward these arches.


Of course, I had to visit the last standing house that Benjamin Franklin lived in. It was pretty cool. We did a little tour. I got all the info for my students for years to come.


Here I am sitting in one of the rooms holding a feather pen.


Just love the phone booths. Can you tell that Jake and I are in each one?


We went on to Trafalgar Square where they had these huge lions. It was too tall for me and my mom to climb up on, but leave it to Jake to take a running leap.


Jake and I


This was an old police watch booth that they had in the olden times. It's now more or less a storage closet.


We then moved on to the British Museum. It was free admission and had tons of things to see inside. We didn't get to see everything, but tried to get the best stuff first. They had a bunch of mummies, Egypt stuff, the Rosetta Stone, and some Samurai weapons stuff.


Mom and Jake behind one of the burial tombs


The inside of that tomb


Mummy


Look what I spotted on the back of one of the mummies burial places, wheat, yes it lasted for thousands years in the Egyptian tombs, yea for food storage


Nice picture of a dessicated body that they found fully intact from the Egyptian times

0 comments: